Friday, June 15, 2007

PS (Victory, continued)

I forgot to mention that I'm going through Matthew and yesterday I read chapter six. Which just happens to contain a number of verses that are applicable to my eating issues. For example:

Matthew 6:31-33
So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

I love this. It isn't that you shouldn't eat, or drink, or wear clothing. Obviously! But I shouldn't set my heart on these things. "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:21)

Isn't it God's timing breathtaking? Could he have chosen a more perfect chapter for me to read yesterday? And guess what? Today's chapters (seven and eight) included verses about asking and receiving and Jesus healing those with infirmities and afflictions.

God's Word is amazing! God is amazing!

One more thing.

Last night, Penn confessed (with a pout), "I won't have my eating buddy anymore." He really seemed sad.

This reminded me so much of my mother's reaction when I became a vegetarian, in high school. (It only lasted about three years - I now eat meat.) She was cheerful about the whole thing until I tried being a vegan for a while. Then she got quiet. When pressed, she explained in a sad little voice, "It was bad enough when you wouldn't eat my stew anymore. Now what am I going to cook for you?"

My mother just enjoyed mothering me. Now that I'm a mom I totally understand. If my son loves my cooking half as much as I love my mother's, I'll be over the moon. And one day, if he announces he will no longer be consuming all his old favorites, made with love by ME... Well, Wah! That would be upsetting. And Penn is no different. Keeping me up to my eyeballs in candy is just one of the ways he takes care of me.

It's weird how any change, no matter how small, can threaten us. We like our relationships the way they are right now, thank you! A friend of mine lost a lot of weight about a year ago, and has kept it off. The only person who isn't 100% thrilled for her is her husband. In some ways he is supportive, in other ways, not so much. Change is complicated.

I just reassured Penn that I will still be eating! And we talked about the wonders of salad for a few minutes and that cheered him right up. And just in case that wasn't enough, I reminded him of how I looked when we met. So now he's definitely looking on the bright side. We wives are beyond blessed when our husbands love us and are attracted to us no matter our size. But, let's be honest. They have eyes. Penn would never admit it, but I'm certain he would prefer me a smidge smaller.

Okay. I really am signing off for a few days. I told Penn I won't be posting or checking blogs on our vacation. But he pointed out that it's my vacation, too. I get to do whatever is fun for me. And reading your blogs is definitely somethinig I enjoy. So I'm sure I'll be checking in on you, after all!

2 comments:

Alana said...

I'm glad you'll be checking in. I kept imagining myself checking your blog every day even though I know you are gone...just in case...it's a compulsion ;-)

Unknown said...

I just want you to know that a VIP in my life has tried every diet known to woman to lose weight and it finally took an epiphany like you had for her to lose the weight and keep it off. She is now more beautiful, not because she is thinner, but because food doesn't control her any longer! Bravo to you Kitty, and remember to throw yourself at HIM and HE will meet all of your needs!