Tuesday, May 8, 2007

May Weight Loss Challenge

Today is the big day! All across blog land, ladies everywhere are uniting to do the one thing ladies do best. Start a new diet!

I'm glad it didn't start on Monday. Whenever I start a diet on a Monday and then fail at some point during the week I just decide to start over again the following Monday.

Sometimes I think that all the pre-dieting behavior (you know, one last this or that before I start my diet!) more than negates the benefits of dieting.

So I didn't do that this time and since we're starting on Tuesday, if I fall off the wagon I'm just going to keep going, rather than starting over at some future date. I'm not going to let perfectionism shoot me in the foot!

So here are my goals:

1. To fit into my pre-pregnany jeans - so that means about two pant sizes.
2. To fit into the jeans I wore when I married Penn - so that means another two pant sizes.
3. To fit into the jeans I wore when I met Penn - so that is one more pant size.

So in total, I'd like to lose five sizes, although I'm breaking this big goal into smaller, more attainable goals.

Once I acheive a goal, I will focus on the next goal. However, the most important thing will be to maintain each size, once achieved. Not to backslide. So that goal will trump all goals. I'd much rather just lose two pant sizes and stay there than to lose all five and return back to where I started.

I'm not into scales, but I will weigh myself only once, each time I achieve a goal. I tend to get too depressed if I have to acknowledge my weight on a regular basis and I don't want to fall into the depths of despair when I reach that inevitable plateau.

Plain and simple, my goal is to fit into all of the lovely and expensive clothing that currently lives in large plastic storage containers, labeled by size. (Did I ever mention how much I love my label maker?) I want to say goodbye (forever!) to all the plus sized loungewear from Target that I've purchased over the years on a "strictly temporary" basis.

My plans to achieve this goal include:

1. Joining a gym. There is a "super gym" about 15 or 20 minutes from us that I haven't joined because of the distance and expense. Who am I kidding? I don't have any social obligations or a job. I have time to drive the extra distance. Also, they have childcare. This is perfect, because my ladies Bible Study will be on summer hiatus and Nicknack will, therefore, no longer have his weekly nursery experience, which he LOVES. So this can substitute. Finally, said gym just sent a mailing with an offer for six weeks for $20! So even with parking and the cost of childcare that is affordable. I'm going to really milk this six week trial membership for all it's worth and practically live there. They have tons of classes to choose from, swimming, and even a three story rock wall. And while Nicknack is at the nursery I can also sit in the sauna, steam room, or jacuzzi! Yay! They even offer free baby swimming lessons, which I wanted to sign him up for this summer, anyway, so it's perfect!

2. Watching my portions and stopping to make a CONSCIOUS decision before I eat anything. I'm not going nuts. We already shop healthy but then supplement our whole wheat, free range, low salt choices with trips to Dairy Queen and candy that is hidden throughout the house. I just need to eat smaller portions and leave out all the obvious junky snacks.

So:

No fast food.
No sugar treats (candy, pie, cookies, or cake - except on Nicknack's upcoming birthday!)
Nothing totally devoid of nutritional value (chips, pop tarts, etc.)

I'll post occasionally about how I am doing.

If you're on a diet or new fitness regime, let me know!

5 comments:

Robin said...

Good work - it sounds like you have made some really healthy, reasonable choices. We can do this! I look forward to being on this journey "together" with you!

Nancy Murphree Davis said...

Great goals! I hope to watch you reach them in the next few months.

Kelli said...

You go girl!!!! Your goals are very attainable and you have put a lot of thought into how you want to get there. I truly believe that is one of the most important things! I just joined the "Globo Gym" by our house and I am doing Weight Watchers to help me lose those last 15lbs! And you have an amazingly powerful God working with you! :) I'll be checking in to see how you are doing!

Kelli said...

I joined the gym and I am going to try running at the park. I found a website called runnersworld.com and they have a week by week program for beginners! Hopefully it will be a sucess :)

Robin Green said...

I've joined this one as well. I went out and bought scales yesterday--I do better when I can see that number regularly. I know you can do it!