Saturday, April 28, 2007

What is it about Texas?

I've noticed that of the dozen or so blogs I read on a regular basis, all but ONE of the bloggers are from the Lone Star state.

What's up with that?

Are all Texan ladies so funny, eccentric, and full of the Spirit?

I live in a very "unchurched" corner of the world - Seattle. I wonder what it would be like to live in a place where the majority of people worship as a family on Sunday.

My beloved Grandma (my mumsy's mother), Betty Jean was a Texan. She hailed from Ft. Worth, although she married my Grandfather when she was 18, moved far away. She and my Grandad homesteaded in Alaska and made it their home until their golden years, which they spent here, in Washington State. I've always thought of Grandma as an Alaskan. But I still have a soft spot in my heart because if my Grandma was from Texas, it must be something pretty special. She was one in a million.

I know that I could never live in Texas, however, for two important reasons.

1. The weather. Specifically, the heat. And the humidity. I just couldn't take it.

2. The insects/spiders. Now I don't know if this applies to the entire state, since it is, after all, such a big one. But I've heard tell of insects. Spiders. Scorpians. Cockroaches. Did I mention spiders? Now we have some pretty unpleasant spiders in our neck of the woods. They like the dampness and the greenery, I suppose. But they don't get terribly large.

On a completely unrelated note, I have to have trees and hills. My husband calls it "geographic diversity." I think Austin is supposed to be hilly and green, so that might work. I would miss the mountains, but I could live without them.

Finally, I don't know if our somewhat progressive political view would fly. Would we be the neighborhood pariahs? We're pretty "blue state." Although I am absolutely pro-life. We're actually pretty middle-of-the-road. But, you know, by Seattle standards.

And I'm not into guns. Would my son be a social outcast if he wasn't allowed to go hunting? Fishing would be fine.

These are things I would worry about.

So I'm sure everyone in Texas is sighing a sigh of relief because they don't have to worry about us relocating to Texas. There goes the neighborhood, right? But if it wasn't for the heat and insects, I would seriously consider trying to talk Penn into moving somewhere that seems to grow the loveliest ladies on the internet.

No comments: